This post was updated on April 6th, 2020.
This post may contain affiliate links.
This is my experience with babies and children with naturally curly hair and the best natural products for curly hair. I will share how to style naturally curly hair….how I shampoo, condition and style kids’ hair that is naturally curly using only natural and safe, nontoxic products.
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on these links and make a purchase you will support my family and my blog at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting my blog by sharing my journey and the products my family uses and loves.
First off, I am not a curly hair expert. There are MANY different kinds of curly hair out there and I am not an expert. I only know what works for my family. I have kids with curly and wavy hair. I have kids of different ages. The products and styling routines that work for each child is different. And what works for us changes with the climate also! I try to give details below on what works for us and what we have tried throughout the years.
MY MINI ME(S)
It took me years to love my hair. It took me years to understand how to style it. And it even took me years to wear it curly. And, my hair is different than the kids’ hair so I have to learn how to style each child’s hair according to the particular texture of that child’s hair. AND, each time we move, I have to adjust our hair products to the new climate!
FACTORS THAT AFFECT CURLY HAIR
I have noticed that what works today often doesn’t work tomorrow. Here are a few factors that affect our curls.
- AGE. The texture of our hair changes with age. I don’t know if it’s stress or hormones or what but our hair changes. I had one child who lost her curls and got them back. Others who change as they grow up.
- CLIMATE. Every time we move we have to change our hair routine. Humid. Dry. It matters. Sometimes we like sea salt spray. Sometimes we like a conditioning spray. It changes.
- PRODUCTS. It’s a fine balance to find products that work well together.
- HAIR ROUTINE. How often do we wash? What do we wash with? Do we condition? Do we dry our hair right away? Do we wash in the morning or at night? Do we blow dry our hair?
NATURALLY CURLY BABY HAIR
I think the texture of baby curly hair is probably pretty similar to baby straight hair but I really don’t know because I have only had kids with wavy or curly hair.
The texture of curly baby hair is much different than older children and adults. It is not yet as course. It is softer and finer. It doesn’t require as much conditioning as older children and adult curly hair.
It might surprise you, but I don’t do a whole lot for baby curly hair.
I used to use more chemically shampoo and conditioner on my first child before I knew better. I think I bought Babyganics which appears to have some products that are “greenwashed.” I used a “fragranced” shampoo and wash that I thought smelled great. Too bad it was toxic. Boo.
- My favorite baby shampoo & wash (even for curly hair)
THE NEXT MORNING. THE KEY TO CURLY HAIR
My biggest tip for curly hair is to spray it the next morning to reinvigorate curls. Kids, especially, are super hard on their hair at night and they wake up with messy hair.
Also, if you can dry the hair the night before it will look better the next morning, but that is often not possible.
After wetting the hair, you might want to put on a curl cream or leave in conditioner (or just conditioner) in baby’s hair. I also loved this DIY hairgel on my oldest’s hair at this age. This is trial and error depending on baby’s hair texture and the climate (humid or dry).
KIDS’ CURLY HAIR VS. BABY’S CURLY HAIR
When my oldest daughter turned 6 years old her hair changed and because she’s curly she needed more moisture in her hair. She has to use a more adult or child (not baby) shampoo and conditioner now.
BEST KIDS’ CURLY HAIR SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER
- She prefers this Shea Moisture 2-in-1 Curl & Shine Shampoo & Conditioner (gets 3 on EWG for the essential oil blend)
- When she’s in my shower she uses my Young Living Copaiba Vanilla Shampoo & Copaiba Vanilla Conditioner (for dry hair)
BEST KIDS’ CURLY HAIR STYLING PRODUCTS
- SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie (styling…for me too!) (EWG
- Use whatever safe conditioner you use in the shower as a styling cream during the day. It’s super simple yet it works wonders!
- Homemade hair gel (link here)
- Detangler – buy it here or make one (recipes I’m trying below)
MY FAVORITE ONE INGREDIENT DIY HAIR CREAM
STRAIGHT UP COCONUT OIL! It’s my new favorite to smoothe out the frizz the next day.
HOMEMADE HAIR GEL RECIPE
I used to have this in our fridge all the time but then we moved and we moved and I haven’t made it in a while. I am going to make this again soon! I’m excited!
MY LATEST SECRET FOR CURLY HAIR
- DETANGLER SPRAY! (The only downgraded ingredient on ewg is the “essential oils” in there. You know I prefer YL essential oils but until I’ve found a better DIY recipe, this is the best I’ve found).
- I stopped a lady at Costco the other day to ask how she got her daughter’s hair so silky without being greasy. she mentioned a detangled that I assume is filled with toxins so I researched until I found a safe one that we like!
- I’m still searching for the perfect recipe. Below are a few of the recipes I’ve been trying. I’ll update this post with my favorite once I decide on one.
HOW TO STYLE NATURALLY CURLY HAIR
- Use conditioner to keep hair from being too dry.
- Comb hair when wet. Do not brush when dry.
- Comb leave in conditioner (or just conditioner that you leave in) when hair is wet and you’re still in the shower.
- Use soft microfiber (like Norwex hair wrap) or a microfiber small towel (Norwex used to make one but I can’t find the small ones anymore) or jersey towel to make a hair wrap while hair is wet. I plan to go back to Joann Fabrics and get the same jersey I used for my DIY No Sew Swaddle Blanket and make my own DIY NO Sew hair towel. I have had this hair towel since I was I was in college! I still love it!
- I love to diffuse my hair with my Dyson hairdryer and diffuser. It’s my favorite. It really does help with frizz.
- Try not to touch your hair too much once it’s dry.
DIY RECIPES I AM TRYING.
- Marshmallow Root Detangling Spray Recipe
- Twist Me Pretty’s DIY Smooth & Shine Spray
- DIY Smooth & Shine Spray by One Good Thing by Jillee
- Curl Cream by Modern Wife Style
PIN IT TO PINTEREST