This post was updated on September 11th, 2020.
This post may contain affiliate links.
My favorite recipe for DIY Foaming Hand Sanitizer. It is fast, easy and inexpensive. It’s the best hand sanitizer/purifier around. It doesn’t leave your hands slimy. And you can customize it to be perfect. I also use it in place of the yucky smelling public restroom hand soap.
Making my kids use DIY Foaming Hand Sanitizer doesn’t make me a germaphobe, does it? Seriously though, I’m not a germaphobe. I am the typical mom of 3 who lets her kids ingest too much dirt because “it’s good for their immune systems.” One the flip side I’m terrified of kid germs. Indoor play places and shopping carts give me nightmares. Let me tell you a story…..
The “stomach flu of November 2017” changed me. I may never be the same. It’s the kind of thing nightmares are made of. 38 months pregnant……ok it felt like 38 but it was only like 7….I had been waddling already for what felt like a year…thanks to SPD. Husband in Europe. Two kids puking literally every 20 minutes. Just when everyone gets well enough to get out and about after being stuck at home for a week, one pukes all over the cart full of items. I actually stooped so low after that I used disinfectant wipes…momentarily losing my grasp on reality and figuring cancer from chemical-filled disinfectant wipes was better than the stomach flu. I have now had the baby, hormones have equalized, my husband has returned home from overseas and I have realized the errors in my ways of disinfectant wipes. (insert agony faced emoji) I have since learned that Young Living has amazing Thieves wipes and spray for that! I now carry that with me to clean off the carts. I would rather my kids eat dirt than put their hands or mouth on a shopping cart…especially after being the one to have the puking kid in the cart. Oops. Yuck. Kid germs.
I’m still a bit traumatized though and every now and then I remember and I shudder at the possibility of this occurring again.
I still don’t like kid germs. I’m still a bit terrified of another stomach flu-like that. Places like schools and play places require me to be standing directly outside with my foaming bottle of hand sanitizer….ready to squirt any child who will allow me to sanitize their hands before said hands get close to faces.
This post contains affiliate links which means that if you purchase a product from a link on this page, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting this blog!
ARE TRADITIONAL HAND SANITIZERS BAD FOR YOU?
- 5 HIDDEN DANGERS OF HAND SANITIZERS
- Why I’m breaking up with hand sanitizer
- 7 Reasons you should avoid hand sanitizers
PIN THIS FOR LATER ON YOUR DIY OR ESSENTIAL OIL PINTEREST BOARDS
DOES DIY FOAMING HAND SANITIZER WITH THIEVES WORK?
The key appears to be adding alcohol. That is the heavy hitter when it comes to sanitizing hands.
WHEN TO USE DIY FOAMING HAND SANITIZER.
- I always require hand sanitizer when we get in the car from playing out and about. It’s become a habit.
- I also use it after the baby’s diaper while I’m still standing at the changing table.
- I use foaming hand sanitizer when we’re at the zoo. or out and about and I don’t like the hand soap or the handwashing stations.
- TIP. You can use it instead of hand soap out and about if the hand soap is that gross pink yucky stuff. I pull it out of my bag and squirt the kids hands with it and then we rinse just like it were the soap. It’s very similar the foaming hand soap that I use at home anyway.
DON’T WANT TO MAKE YOUR OWN? THIS IS WHAT I BUY NOW!
I have written about how much I love the DYPER BRAND cloth diapers and disposable diapers. I switched to disposable diapers after 8 years of cloth diapering due to this amazing company. I am in love. I use these wipes to wipe hands off! They also can be used as a replacement to your Clorox wipes that is safe and natural. Are you in love with this company yet like I am?!
They also have a replacement to your Clorox wipes that is safe and natural. Are you in love with this company yet like I am?!
CDC GUIDELINES FOR HOW TO AND WHEN TO USE HAND SANITIZER
PIN TO SAVE FOR LATER READING TO YOUR DIY OR ESSENTIAL OIL BOARD
WHERE TO KEEP DIY FOAMING HAND SANITIZER BOTTLES IN THE HOUSE AND CARS AND BAGS?
- My van/car/SUV door.
- Each car door or seat pocket for each kid. (Habit when they get in the car from school or playing.)
- My purse. (My mommy purse pouch w/ my wallet etc for when I get out without the kids…I think I left without the kids once once in 2016. Hmmm maybe it was 2017. Just kidding.)
- Baby’s changing table so after changing baby diaper I can clean hands right away.
- Daughter’s school backpack. (My kids are spoiled now and they don’t like the hand sanitizers at school with all the alcohol and chemicals.)
- In the kitchen for a quick hand sanitize if I have my hands full (like holding a baby).
WHY ARE ANTIBACTERIAL CHEMICAL PRODUCTS DANGEROUS?
I talked about it in my DIY FOAMING HAND SOAP RECIPE post. Kills good bacteria too. Full of chemicals. Can create antibiotic resistance.
WHY DID YOU CHOOSE ALCOHOL-FREE HAND SANITIZER?
- We don’t prefer alcohol in our hand sanitizers because it’s drying. And it can burn if you have an open cut.
- So when we don’t have a world-wide pandemic of coronavirus going on I choose a sanitizer that does not have alcohol in it.
- When we need serous hand sanitizers, we add alcohol.
- I made a DIY hand sanitizer recipe using alcohol and aloe but it molded. It was stinky and gross. This hand sanitizer has never gone bad and it’s just awesome. I need easy in my life.
- My new recipe here (you can use it with or without alcohol but alcohol works better) does not have aloe. Instead it has Castile soap.
WHAT TO BUY TO MAKE DIY FOAMING HAND SANITIZER RECIPE USING ESSENTIAL OILS AND CASTILE SOAP [DISPENSER FOR HAND SANITIZER]
- These foaming hand sanitizer containers.
- Do I really need 12?
- I prefer to make them all at once and store them in my laundry room already filled. Then I can grab a new one and not have to make one if I run out and I’m in a hurry. I also keep them everywhere so I use at least half right away.
- I find DIY is easier when you make it in batches…as long as it doesn’t go bad. I have personally never had this recipe go bad. I don’t have a lot of extra time for getting all the ingredients out, thinking about it, mixing etc. It’s a chore so I do it all at once and don’t replenish for months!
- I really like that they are clear!
- Young Living Thieves Essential Oil
- Young Living Peppermint Essential Oil (this one is just for nice smell. If you only have Thieves, use that). I stole this idea from the ingredients in Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier by Young Living.
- Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint (or Baby Mild or any other scent you like) Castile Soap
- I like peppermint for this recipe b/c I’m adding peppermint essential oils anyway.
- Distilled Water (or tap water)
- Alcohol as needed.
DIY FOAMING HAND SANITIZER RECIPE
It’s super simple, fast & easy.
- Open all of the 50 ml containers.
- Put 1/2 teaspoon of Castile soap in each.
- Put 5 drops of Thieves Essential Oil & 5 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil. (Or use another combination)
- Fill the container slowly with alcohol (don’t let it suds too much & don’t fill too full). You want your ratio to be 60% alcohol to be effective during coronavirus.
- You can also add water, but keep your ratio at 60% alcohol.
- Leave room for foaming dispenser top.
UPDATE: IF YOUR RECIPE DOES NOT FOAM.
Apparently some containers need more soap or water to foam! Foaming containers are different regarding how much soap they need to foam!
The first time you make this recipe, add the castile soap and a touch of water first and then add the alcohol!
And comment below and let me know if you had to add more soap or water and how much!
DOES THIS WORK ON BABIES AS BABY HAND SANITIZER?
YES YES YES! I used to use this on my babies after someone would come up and touch my baby’s hands! Then people would question why we smelled so nice! I always watch to make sure baby doesn’t rub his eyes but I never worry because it’s in such small concentration it does not concern me. You, mom, make your own decision based on your comfort level for your family.
I prefer the non-alcohol versions for babies so I don’t burn their hands.
PIN THIS TO YOUR DIY NATURAL HOME BOARD
WHAT ABOUT THIEVES HAND SANITIZER?
I am thrifty so I prefer to make my own and save money. I also like that mine is alcohol-free, but I do love the Thieves Hand Purifier from Young Living. It smells just as divine! I use both. I like the Thieves Hand Purifier for smaller spaces (small bags). This DIY Foaming Hand Sanitizer Recipe takes just a few minutes to make. I make 12 all at once in a batch and put the extras in my laundry room all ready to go. I have looked up the ingredients and alcohol gets a 4 on EWG and Clove Oil gets a 5 on EWG. I’m good with that. Everything else is a 1 or 2.
I have also tried the Dr. Bronners Hand Sanitizer in Lavender from Amazon. It also has alcohol in it also. It’s a hand sanitizer spray. This one is okay also. But I still prefer my own.
MY OPINION ON DIY RECIPES
It has to be fast.
It has to be easy.
It has to actually WORK.
It has to be something I can NOT buy anywhere else OR it has to be something I can make a LOT cheaper than I can buy it.
I love my DIY Foaming hand soap recipe. It’s ridiculously cheap. And I just love it. Love it. It’s fast, easy and cheap to make and I love the end product.
PIN IT TO PINTEREST